Saturday, January 5, 2013

Holidays

Well, the holidays are safely over. Everyone giving a special cheer right now? I sure am. I'm finally working, and looking to definitely be working, not training, by the middle of this month. YAY! I love training, because nothing can be really blamed on me, after all, I don't know all the tricks of the trade, all the people I need to know, how to deal with most of the situations (basically, I have the best, most plausible excuse in the world). But I also hate training, because I do like working, I do like figuring things out, I do like being the problem solver. As a trainee, no one knows how far along you are in training, so a lot is repetition. But a lot is also sometimes assumed. They assume you know everyone's name, you know what to do with your time. And usually, businesses schedule the people they need. No more, and usually no less. There are exactly enough people to get everything done. Add a trainee in there, and someone's just following the workers around, feeling like a fifth wheel. But I'm pretty sure I'll be done in a week or so.
Anywho, how was everyone's Christmas? Unnecessary question, right? I'm sure everyone's was peachy. That's my boyfriend's code for "nasty, but I really don't want to complain". It was different for me. I was just getting off of unemployment, so no money, and I didn't spend it with my family, but with my boyfriend's, which was obviously weird. It made me desperately homesick, really moody, and it was one of those holidays which didn't really feel like one. I just can't wait until we have a family, and can keep doing the traditions I'm used to, like shoes on the 6th, stockings, and Epiphany gifts, also on the 6th (December and January, respectively).
I know everyone says that Christmas is a child's holiday, but why must we wait for the drunkeness of New Year's Eve to have ours? I vote that adults get to participate in this children's holiday. I really couldn't care less how parents choose to present their gifts, but my family gets theirs from Mom & Dad, Grammy & Grandaddy, and we open gifts one at a time, in order of age. No one takes the spotlight, and everyone gets to be excited. Join me to take back the holiday!

3 comments:

  1. Hey girlie...Just finished reading your post and left me feeling sad for you. I knew you were struggling at times out here and all I could do was do my best to get across that we were here for you whatever it was that we could do. Change is hard...but we all go through it at one point or another in our lives. Our gifts have always come from Santa and therein lies the belief that is all so innocent and so beautiful to see yet in Tylers' eyes...I was thrilled to see the joy in his little twinkling eyes! As tradition goes...so goes the gifts to all of our kids...you included, that were under the tree and opened not right or wrong... just different than what you are used too. Again, knowing full well that this Christmas would be hard for you I tried my best to help you...had I been thinking right...I would have arranged for you to go to a midnight mass which may have been some comfort to you. I am so sorry. I was praying we would give you a warm Christmas feeling not a "weird one". For that, I am so sorry. My concerns go to when you do get married and have children....I pray that you and Matt will be able to find a common ground that is best for the children...not where one side is right and one side is wrong. I am wanting to know more about your religion....and I appreciate so much you going to church with us and learning a little about our thoughts and yet so far from everything that I was brought up to believe in or that Steve and I brought the kids up to believe in. I can sum this all up with a 1-liner...We enjoyed having you with us for Christmas and we love you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to be clear, I had a great Christmas. I've felt this way before, in Switzerland. Spending Christmas with someone other than family is just different, and that's not a bad thing.It was warm.
    I don't think that there is a right way and a wrong way to raise children. Every family, parent, and child is different, and just as everyone can have their own opinion, they can also have their own way of raising their children. I just wanted to write about my ideals of future Christmases... a kind of dream, as it were.
    This blog is just meant as an outlet for my feelings, a place where I can be funny, sad, dramatic, in other words, myself. I do not wish to force my opinion on anyone, and reserve the right to dream about my future, and complain about my feelings as needed. It's a well-needed, and hopefully deserved, therapy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to hear that you had a nice Christmas with us and I know y'all thought it was "warm" but for us it was about normal maybe a little chilly for my blood LOL ! I love to follow your blogs and I appreciate your writing style...it's something that you are indeed very good at...you should seriously consider writing, whether it be a book or whatever venue you would prefer...I pray your future Christmas's will be all you are dreaming of because without dreams life would be boring! I never meant for you to feel "challenged" as far as needing to "reserve your rights"....live your life Amy...dream your dream...

    ReplyDelete