Friday, February 22, 2013

Why Reach for the Moon?

"It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often, it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know, none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around" (Love Actually).

In our course of day-to-day living, most people forget about the good in it, and when asked "what did you do all day", usually answer with the catastrophes and mishaps of the day. The cat threw up, the dishwasher broke, I've been tired, work was hard, the computer was slow: the litany goes on and on. Only the optimistic and the hopelessly romantic actually constantly see the good in life. I'm not saying that no one ever sees any good. But those people who see a silver lining in every cloud, those who see a romance in every snowfall, those who see the endless possibilities of living, will always see the good in life.
You can identify these people as those who answer the above question with, oh, the cat slept on my feet, the dishes got clean, I stayed awake all day, work was gratifying, I had time to do things because the computer was slow: their litany, too, will go on and on. They will not see a silver cloud and put a grey lining in it, they will not see the horror in every snowfall, they will not put limits on what they can or can't do. 
Adventure is everywhere, and it is never too late to do anything. Grandma Moses, that famous painter, had a rewarding 20 year run: but she began when she was 79, when her hands couldn't hold the needle anymore. My life has a long time, and it is possible that I still become that famous writer, or actress, or singer, that I see in myself. The sky is not the limit: my limit is infinite, and I am going to act on that today.

No comments:

Post a Comment