Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Chicken/Tuna Roulette

Can you tell which one's the chicken, and which is tuna?
Everyone hates Mondays. Including me. But Mondays aren't actually the worst day of the week. For me, that's Wednesdays. Because it holds the tantalizing hope of the middle of the week, and the realization that there is still half a week left to suffer from. This problem can be characterized as the glass half full (optimist) vs. the glass half empty (pessimist). And I'm very much a pessimist. For me, Mondays still have that refreshment of the weekend. Sure, it's hard to go back to work for most people, but I am still stimulated by the weekend energy. I don't spend Sundays having lots of fun, instead, I usually stay in my pj's and watch TV. And sleep, play on my computer, and otherwise just relax. So I'm well- rested and ready for work.
Beef. Because Chickens can't spell.

But by Wednesday, all that's changed. I look on the past week, and I can only think that I still have 1/2 a week to go. And on Monday, the house is full of food; we go shopping on the weekend. By Wednesday, I'm trying to figure out why the good, easy stuff is gone, and what to make that doesn't include chicken or tuna. Also, the canned vegetables and soups in the cupboard. Should I make a menu for each week? Sure. Do I? Heck, no. That would mean planning ahead, being responsible, avoiding some terrible fate of chicken and green beans. I'm too busy enjoying the chicken/tuna roulette.

5 comments:

  1. I'm the same way about grocery shopping. I like to think I'm like the Italians at an open market, choosing what's in season from day to day when in reality, I just don't plan ahead. I actually got out a couple cookbooks today to pick out some recipes and plan a menu. Ironically, just before I got out the laptop and read this, I put the books back on the shelf because I know darn well I'm just going to go and pick stuff off the shelf. And relaxing Sundays like that are wonderful! Thanks for joining in on the hop! Hope to see you next week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! I've actually planned out meals, gotten the food for them, and gotten home with great intentions... then I realize that no matter what, I'll eat whatever I feel like eating, even if that means going back out to the store and picking up a frozen pizza, instead of cooking the Chicken Parmesan with sauted zucchini, like I planned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mondays and Tuesdays are hard--5:15 am to 9:30 pm before I can sit down....with work and kid stuff and now soccer games; both kids' Monday night programs finish exactly at 9 pm about a mile from each other. That's always fun, and I try to alternate annoying each group of responsible adults in charge. Wed now has Tay's violin lessons; Thur are great, except that I have an 8:30 standing meeting whih means I have to leave earlier in the AM; they have soccer games too, sometimes...Fri same although it's blue jean day at work (of which I'm growing extremely fond), but those Fri where we don't have anything and can eat at the Pizza place in Duluth square...those are great! Steverino's on a Fri is awesome. And we're beginning to get to know local people who smile and wave when we enter....that feels good (again). This sat Sean has large group performance for orchestra comp; I volunteered as a chaperone; Tay has a lockin for soccer; John's been volunteered for that (he doesn't know it yet). Hoping some time I can get to the bonsai store. Before you know it the week starts anew. I don't hate Mondays, I just know the hill is high, and I'm at the bottom....
    Aunt Kitty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you get pretty busy! I'll have to come and visit so I can try your pizza, and hopefully hear Sean & Tay play. And it's always fun volunteering your other half for something, I do it to mine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think my worst day is Thursday..it's like so close, yet so far! :D

    ReplyDelete